20 useless but entertaining Super Bowl fun facts
Posted by mandyf on February 4, 2012
In order to gear up for Super Bowl XLVII in style, here are twenty weird Super Bowl facts to keep you entertained and amaze your friends. If you watch the game at a bar, maybe you can win a few drinks with some of these gems.
1. On the Monday following the Super Bowl, on average, 6% of the workforce calls out sick. While it is often assumed that people are just faking, in reality, quite a few people are actually sick. Overdoing it with the food, drinks -or both – often causes quite a few people to wake up feeling sick.
2. That is in large part due to Super Bowl Sunday being the second leading day for food consumption in the US- just behind Thanksgiving. It is estimated that about 14,500 tons of chips, 8 million pounds of guacamole, another 4,000 tons of popcorn and 1.25 billion chicken wings (yeah this was triple checked) will be eaten on game day. Beer sales also go up by around $17.9 million over the Super Bowl weekend. That leads to weird fact #3 perfectly.
3. The sale of antacids goes up by nearly 20% the day after the Super Bowl.
4. Only 3 people have won a Super Bowl as a player and a coach: Mike Ditka, Tony Dungy and Tom Flores.
5. In Super Bowl VIII, the Dolphins only attempted 7 passes – and they still beat Minnesota 24-7.
6. Chuck Howley of the Dallas Cowboys was the first defensive player ever named Super Bowl MVP and he was also the first player to be named a Super Bowl MVP from the losing team.
7. The first celebrity to perform at halftime during the Super Bowl was Carol Channing in 1970 – she sang a tribute to the city of new Orleans.
8. Of the ten most watched events on television in the US, the Super Bowl accounts for 9 of those slots.
9. According to the Insurance Information Institute, there are more alcohol related accidents on Super Bowl Sunday than any day of the year aside from St. Patrick’s Day.
10. It is estimated that 35% of all Super Bowl tickets that are sold are written off as a corporate expense.
11. 72 footballs will be on hand for use during the Super Bowl.
12. The Super Bowl is expected to be broadcast in 232 countries with 32 different languages being used for color commentary of the game.
13. Oakland Linebacker Rod Martin holds the record for interceptions in 1 Super Bowl game with three set in 1980.
14. The players on the winning team in Super Bowl XLVI will receive $88,000 each. The players on the losing team will receive $44,000 for the day’s work.
15. The average cost of a 30 second commercial during Super Bowl XLVI will be about $3.5 million!
16. NBC, who is airing the Super Bowl, expects to make about $250 million in advertising revenue for the event. Should the game go longer than anticipated, additional revenue could be realized from advertisers that have held slots in reserve just in case.
17. A field luxury suite that accommodates 35 people will cost about $650,000 to book for Super Bowl XLVI.
18. The toilet is flushed more times during halftime of the Super Bowl than at any other time of the year.
19. Joe Namath appeared in the first famous Super Bowl commercial in 1974 for Noxzema alongside Gunilla Knutson who was a former Miss Sweden.
20. The average number of people at any given Super Bowl Party is 17.